Monday, August 27, 2007

Glad that it's over

After quite an uneventful week, my weekend spiced up eventually. I had seen on TV the ad by gl0baLRags - it's supposed to be a sale of branded stuff at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. So I finished one of my job applications after work on Fri, which was about 4 already and trammed to MEC. Initially I even suspected that I went to the wrong place! Having not known that there were actually 10 showrooms at the MEC, I followed a girl who seemed to be shoppalicious. We walked past each room and my legs were getting a bit sore.

I think the building itself was at least 500m in length and we were talking towards the end of the building. And then the call came in - a call from NSW, by the look of it. Gosh it's a recruitment agency and I was shortlisted for the assessment day on Monday. Great! But the bad thing was that I was about to go shopping and I had to do this phone interview right there and then! But phewh, I managed to scraped through. (Just in case if someone would ask - I wasn't shopping for myself that day. I had spent enough money already)

Even though the role was not what I wanted but I was still stressed out over the weekend. The more I researched and prepared the less confident I felt. There was no way I would be doing B2B sales. Not at this stage.

However the intensity of the upcoming assessment day (yes, that's what it is called - the recruitment agency would assess if I was fit for their further recommendation to potential employers) was lightened up by the graduation ceremony of a fellow ex-housemate (sounds a bit like BB doesn't it? Fellow ex-housemate). So Sat morning was filled with lotsa of frenzied posing, directing and photo shoot.

Afternoon - stressing out with the interview again...

We went to Old Kingdom for dinna at night. It'd been a while since I last went there with my family. It was the first time that I was eating at a big table with other 11 people. Normally we would just get a small table. That was a first. Another first was of course the infamous caption was no longer waiting on us. The ducks were being cut by another young fella. However, we did get to see him when we were about to leave. He was really kind and understanding to bring us a couple of boxes as JK & PJ were taking away some duck bones. I remember I asked for bones of 10 ducks once before. And man, did I not enjoy the duck porridge and fried noodles with duck meat after that!

After dinna we went on Collins St as planned to hit one of the bars - The Long Room. It was damn nice to finally get out and about again in the night scene. I had not done that for a long times since my (drinking) buddies were all gone from Melb, leaving me with those who don't drink! Dressed to the sharpest (that's me, hello), we strutted along Collins St with me trying to remember where it was. Even though it was just 5 past 10, the place was already overcrowded with patrons.

We walked around trying to find seat but not to avail. But guess what - it was so damn nice to finally get to enjoy a smoke-free environment. The legislation came into effect since July 1st I think. It's so good now that I don't have to drown in second-hand smoke and my clothes will not be stinking when I leave the place.

Ordering drinks were a bit of a hassle. I ordered my cocktail from a new bartender - and effectively that dragged the gang down with me as well. Everyone was waiting long long for his/her drink. And according to sis the new bartender had to flip a How to make a cocktail - guide to a first-timer (OK - I added the title) and he probably burned with hand. It was a fun night when we're playing cards and talking nonsense. Someone still hadn't changed a bit when given alcoholic drinks.

Didn't stay out for too long as I didn't want to get a hangover and delay my prep for the assessment day. We went to Hungry Jack for supper (NOT ME) as we un-ashamedly asked for the 2-for-1 burger deal. Everyone seemed happy with that. Try that when you go to any Hungry Jack in the Melbourne CBD - it's worked so far. Just say the words just say the words - I wanna get the 2-for-1 xxx burger.

And then Sunday came - creeping on me that the assessment wasn't too far along. I basically studied for an hour then relaxed for the next, repeating the cycle for the rest of the day. Eventually I relaxed more than I studied. I got more nervous this morning. I felt like throwing up and throwing the opportunity away.

But I didn't - I went to the assessment anyway knowing that I would probably not get through. It was quite intensive - first thing up was public speaking which put me right into the graveyard. Something that I had known about myself but still not able to improve, much. It was good, nerve-wrecking fun anyway. I learned heaps. If anything, it's quite a reputable recruitment agency that originated from the UK. Group assessments were tricky though - I really didn't know how to work in a group that consisted of 14 people with 14 different voices all at the same time.

It was bitter sweet that I didn't get through though. Like WW said, it's better to do something that I'd enjoy. I felt the weights off my shoulder now - at least until the next interview comes along.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin